Barbara Weisel is a Managing Director at Rock Creek Global Advisors, an international economic policy advisory firm, where she focuses on international trade and investment policy and negotiations as well as market access and regulatory matters.
Ms. Weisel has more than 25 years of experience advancing international trade and investment initiatives, expanding market access in Asia-Pacific markets, and resolving specific issues faced by businesses in the Asia-Pacific.
Ms. Weisel served most recently as Assistant US Trade Representative for Southeast Asia and the Pacific. She was the US chief negotiator for the 12-country Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) from its inception in 2008 through its signing in 2016. She was responsible for developing US positions in coordination with other government agencies, Congress and the US private sector.
In addition to TPP, Ms. Weisel led efforts to expand US market access and promote US economic interests in the Asia Pacific, working with foreign government officials at all levels on intellectual property, digital trade, services, financial services, agriculture, customs, and product standards.
As Deputy Assistant US Trade Representative for Bilateral Asian Affairs (Korea, Southeast Asia, and South Asia), Ms. Weisel served as negotiator of FTAs with Malaysia, Thailand, Australia and Singapore. She also was charged with monitoring and enforcing Asian countries’ compliance with their World Trade Organization commitments and working with US companies to resolve specific issues in these markets.
Earlier, Ms. Weisel served as the official responsible for managing global pharmaceutical regulatory issues and as Director for Japan Affairs.
Before joining USTR, she worked at the State Department from 1984-1994, serving in a variety of positions, including as international economist on Japan, the Persian Gulf, and North Africa.
Ms. Weisel earned two Masters Degrees from Harvard University in 1983 in Public Policy with a focus on international development, and Religious Studies, with a focus on Islamic civilization. She has a Bachelor’s degree from Connecticut College (Phi Beta Kappa and magna cum laude).
In the Press
- Barbara Weisel participates in an Asia House forum on the US-China trade dispute and China’s economic policies
- Barbara Weisel participates in a Brookings panel on Japan, Taiwan, and the President Trump’s trade policies
- Barbara Weisel comments on the US-China trade dispute and shifting global supply chains in WIRED
- Barbara Weisel comments on Trump’s trade policy toward China in the Washington Post
- Barbara Weisel discusses Trump’s trade policy toward China on Bloomberg Markets
- Barbara Weisel discusses China’s investment and market access restrictions in Deutsche Welle
- Barbara Weisel comments on US interest in rejoining the Trans-Pacific Partnership in the Wall Street Journal
- Barbara Weisel comments on US Section 232 tariffs on steel and aluminum in the Wall Street Journal
- Barbara Weisel comments on the Trans-Pacific Partnership in Politico
- Barbara Weisel discusses the ASEAN summit on Radio Free Asia
- Barbara Weisel discusses TPP and the ASEAN summit in Inside US Trade
- Former Assistant US Trade Representative Barbara Weisel joins Rock Creek Global Advisors